Over the past couple of years, there has been a lot of changes in the landscape of guest blogging and there is much debate about its value and purpose. Let us discuss the purpose of guest posting and how valuable it can be for writers and publishers.
More often than not, guest blogging is always about links. This is wrong. As much as it is emphasized that guest blogging should not be about obtaining links, bloggers still insert links into their blogs and editors are approached by people who are clearly interested only in links. Yes, in the past, guest posting was an easy way for gaining links but after people abused it, much information was released regarding guest blogging becoming spammed with links, and then there was a slight change in the quality of blogs. Publishers and bloggers became concerned about search engine penalties for spam links. Therefore, in this situation, there needed to be a break in the bond between guest blogging and SEO.
To improve the quality of your guest blogs, be strict on this one principle:
(No links to the publisher’s own site or to the sites of clients)
Following are the benefits of this principle:
- There is absolutely no perception that the blog is being written for the purpose of return links.
- It informs guest authors that a bunch of links leading to their own site cannot be packed up into a blog as an incentive for guest blogging.
- When ‘links’ are not your main objective, bloggers will take an effort to write better quality content.
Hopefully you have now understood why links should not be your main concern with guest blogging. Here are a few other objectives you should look at for successful guest blogging.
- A unique perspective is available from those working in the field of digital marketing, agencies, commercial websites, and so on. They often have a different experience compared to those on the writing team of a company.
- Promote your content to a variety of audiences by approaching guest writers who are very active on social media.
- Improve your search visibility by providing high quality content because that is what search engines are looking out for.
- Approach guest writers who are keen on showing off their knowledge with high quality content, which provides your audience added value.